An Open Letter to TUBDFTL Patrons # 10
The Debacle

About this time last month, I rose in the morning (a Monday morning, no less) to find that the MIVA scripts that powered the Development System no longer worked properly. As none of the code had been recently modified, I assumed that corrupted data must be the culprit and proceeded to check the databases and indexes, locally. Though they looked fine to me, I replaced the files with backups and tried again. The problem persisted so I restored the system to its proper state and put in a call to the Library's Web Hosting service, Tierranet.

The ensuing conversation revealed that no MIVA expertise was on site at five in the morning. Accordingly, pertinent information was exchanged and I extracted a promise that my problem would receive immediate attention (some time after nine o'clock) and that someone would get back to me with a solution shortly - "after nine o'clock." In the interim, I poked around the rest of the system and discovered other irregularities. By the time Tierranet's MIVA maven got back to me (by E-Mail), I was convinced that the problem was not on this end. I was right! I was informed that Tierranet had "upgraded" their MIVA engine from version 3.78 to version 3.9107 and some of my code (no hint as to what chunks of code might be involved) was no longer compatible and would have to be rewritten. I was advised to contact MIVA Corporation for any advice sought and that the Library's account had been rolled back to version 3.78 until the first of October. A quick tour of the Library demonstrated that everything was, once again, working as designed. The pressure was off, but only for the time being.

A visit to the MIVA Corporation web site was more frustrating than enlightening. Perhaps the 28K dialup connection was to blame, but the queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach kept insisting I entertain other possibilities. I also bitterly recalled other bumps and bruises dealt me during the Library's three year relationship with Tierranet, virtually all of which were associated with an "upgrade" of one sort or another. Not only did I know there had to be a better way, I had known for sometime what it was. Then came the toke that pushed me over the edge! I discovered that, although the Library's original agreement with Tierranet guaranteed unlimited disc space (They even stressed it in their promotional material.), somewhere along the line they had seen fit to "upgrade" the Library's account by limiting disc space to one hundred megabytes. My protests fell on deaf ears! The gauntlet was hurled, the bet placed, the cards dealt, the straw drawn, the die cast, and the course clear. I had only to clear it with Lynne and the decision made. The next day I threw off my Pinky guise in favour of the Brain's and began to implement "The Solution!"

Click here to discover "The Solution!"